We’ve all been there, whether it’s with exercising, juicing, meditating, writing or creating a business plan…
Sometimes we know what we want and have all the intentions in the world at first, only to lose steam and slow down after a period of time. While it’s okay to hit bumps in the road occasionally, we can learn from them, persevere and push through.
The following are 10 ways that can help you stay (or get back) on track:
1. Keep your "why" in mind. What is the deeper meaning behind your intention? Why did you want to set and reach this goal in the first place? What was your original vision?
2. Tell someone - or even better - multiple people. Accountability is an amazing thing. Expressing that you are going to do something by a certain time will likely give you a kick in the pants! Ask your accountability partner or group to accept no excuses from you. Some people have achieved great success with a goal by announcing it on social media, too, if that’s your cup of tea.
3. Create a specific action plan with deadlines. Break down your overall vision into smaller, actionable steps. You’ve heard the question posed “how do you eat an elephant?” Yup, one bite at a time. Working towards your goal every day is ideal, even with baby steps.
4. Be consistent. Once you take action, you'll start seeing results. Taking action on a regular basis create momentum. And momentum creates momentum, which is motivating itself. Results will help keep your spirits up, as you will begin to really see and believe that your goal is achievable.
5. Make your goals a priority. Carve out time in your schedule to focus on you - and stick to it. Getting organized and planning ahead helps a great deal.
6. Reward yourself for the smaller victories. Sometimes we forget to celebrate along the way. Did you lose three pounds when your goal is twenty? Great! Reward yourself and keep on keepin’ on.
7. Keep visual reminders around for inspiration. Write your intention(s) down on paper. Post a picture of your desired outcome (i.e., your vision) so you can see it daily. This will help you “keep your eye on the prize” as well as ingrain what you want in your subconscious. Keeping the end in mind is important!
8. Use mindfulness and reflect. Think about what you could do differently next time if you don't reach a particular goal or milestone along the way. If you feel yourself losing motivation, become aware of what you believe may be holding you back. Getting to the root cause is often helpful in order to move forward with solutions. Write down some steps that you believe will help you overcome the challenges. Course correct and go for it again. Beating yourself up over it will not serve you.
9. Surround yourself with people who support you. When you aren’t believing in yourself, it’s helpful to have people who believe in and encourage you. Also, hanging out with those people with similar qualities to what you'd like to be, do or have is very beneficial. Be aware of the energy levels around you and take care of yourself accordingly.
10. Create a supportive environment for yourself. Wanting to change your eating habits? Research shows that it is easier to change your environment than change your mind. In other words, if you choose not to buy those potato chips in the first place, you won’t have to try so hard to resist them at home.
Most of all, know that change is possible.
Feel like you’re spinning your wheels when it comes to your personal and professional goals? That’s why I’m here. Whether you’re wanting to incorporate better balance / self-care, or take steps towards doing something you’re passionate about, I’m here to help you along the way. Behavior change is complex; let me help! If you would like that extra nudge and accountability schedule a call to see how I can help. My mission is to help you move forward!
What has helped YOU stay motivated? Please share your tips below!